Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy Mother's Day, a day late

I forgot to post for either of our mom's yesteday, but Eric and I did an activity that is very much in honor of both of them. Every year for Mother's Day, for as long as I can remember, my mom's request was to either be outside playing a game, or working on the yard. We have cleared many of beds, and worked on her tomato plants, or played kick-ball in the cul-de-sac. No matter what it is, as long as we can be outside. I am not a green thumb by nature, but our front yard needed some serious help. So, to Lowe's we went and bought several different kinds of plants and soil. Unfortunately, we are far behind in what Eric's mom has accomplished in her years of gardening. She has grown all kinds of vegetables: tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, green beans, broccoli, corn, potatoes, cherry tomatoes. Maybe one day we'll get there.
This is me digging everything up. I was so excited to get the hodge-podge of plants out of the bed and make it look pretty!This is my man, getting the hose ready for some serious watering. Look at those guns!=)
Here's the finished project! I left the strip closest to the sidewalk for impatients. Thanks Mom (and Dad) for teaching the very little that I do know about gardening. I used Miracle Grow, topsoil and Peetmoss - aren't you proud?=)

3 comments:

Dawn said...

The flower garden looks great! As for my gardening skills, Dad is more of the caretaker these days. I am more of the idea person. I am getting into herb gardening now, though.

Julie said...

It looks incredible! Can't wait to see it in person!

Cindy Boyes Kewley said...

wow--great job on the garden!! What a perfect way to spend Mother's day weekend. ha ha Just wait till you have kids to help you. It gets even better and more fun!!:) But you always have to get the work part done first, then go play kickball or soccer. So many great memories!! Thanks for thinking of me and calling me on Mother's Day. I love you so much. I can't wait to see you!! Praying for you.