Friday, July 3, 2009

Visit with the Gpops

When I was in Virginia, I took a day with Rachel and we drove up to Pennsylvania to visit my Grandpa for a day. He lives on the compound (50 acres of land that alllll my mom's family lives on. Her 4 siblings, 1 uncle and a cousin - yeah, thats why we call it the compound.) Growing up we spent practically all summer there, playing with cousins, going to the pond, having cookouts and playing make-believe somewhere on the property. My grandpa no longer lives in the farmhouse (above) but stays next door to my aunt in a duplex. The farmhouse is where I grew up visiting him and Grandma.
Here he is with Rachel, my cousin Briana, her week old son Carter and me. He is 91 one years old and still lives on his own!!!

Grandpa and me.
It was such a special day and I don't take it for granted. The last time I saw my grandma was 1 1/2 years ago, and then she passed away this past spring. It was really neat to have a whole day just to be with him and keep him company. I wish I lived closer. I got to hear more stories of Africa and Brazil and the ministry work he and Grandma did. All of their children were born overseas except for my mom, who was born in the States and then left for the Congo at 2 weeks old. My grandparents are amazing!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

What a special time! It's so wonderful that you were able to spend time with your grandfather.

Dawn